Tuesday 16 September 2014

Yokai

I Have recently been looking into mythology thanks to my previous research into the National gallery work; Metamorphosis. the paintings of old legends and tales from greek/ Roman times.
I decided to look into Japanese mythos, as it is usually as surreal or abstract as you could want, from Shirime who is a human figure with no eyes on his face that goes around wanting to show people his 'eye' which is located in his behind, to the less human Kasa-Obake which is basically an umbrella with one eye and one leg, sometimes depicted with a tongue that torments villagers.



Most creatures in Japanese mythology are commonly referred to as 'yokai' which are basically wondering spirits who enjoy scaring villagers and basically causing mischief.



Futakuchi-onna or two mouthed woman is a type of Yokai that is a woman in appearance but once left alone her hair turns into tendrils that feed/cover a huge mouth on the back of her head that seems to have an unmatchable appetite

I am thinking i could link these monsters into my work, Kasa-obake gave me the idea to make my 3D model into some crazy being, perhaps a hand with a face or an old computer with a face merging through the screen. the ideas are rolling in.

www.humon.deviantart.com/ This comic artist also should be credited for showing me many unusual myths from around the globe, her work is cute and smooth .

No comments:

Post a Comment