Sunday 26 April 2015

Plans and practices

Here are my practices on the Canvas' I made using MDF cut 44 width and 61 length, then covered by a strong durable fabric over one to make a canvas, the other remained without the fabric to test texture and to just make sure it was the right effect.

 This one was first to do, I used just the primed MDF board for this, I also tried to do a Jim Dine technique for the background to keep it visually stimulating, i liked the idea of now worrying about the colours within the colours, for example if you look at some of the yellow boxes you will see some blues, pinks and browns mixed in almost carelessly, but it did give off a nearly 3D effect, however if i were to do a similar background in the future, i would not use the dabble technique, it doesnt look right so i will keep it smooth.

Then I had Julian Opie faces, or tried to, with the very limited details on the face, it was almost the exact effect i wanted, though i wish the lines were darker. One thing i am disappointed with is how small i made the faces, yes i wanted the background to be visible but now there is too much background, so for my next idea i will make sure to make the characters alot bigger!

I have decided to keep the lips big and exaggerated as my sort of signature mark that people may recognise.

This was from an argument between Danny Dyer and katie hopkins in which he called her a tampon with a face after she lashed out at his fiancee

“Last one.....as I'm in a jolly good mood.....imagine if a tampon was to have a face......@KTHopkins happy Tuesday. ;)”

I erased the last head and body because of my previous review of it being too small, though the lips weren't as realistic, but in my eyes it looks like he is pouting which is funny to me.
From some research i did later on I went back and edited the background so that it would have these thick black lines, however i found it blended in too much with the lines in the faces, clothes and tampon. I would need to take this into consideration for next time.






In a tweet from Katie Hopkins she said that if Ed Miliband was voted the new pm she was going to leave the country, i found this funny because some people on the internet would then intentionally vote for him to spite her making it a possibility.
I first decided to blend some colours,  thought that this effect looked interesting and simple, i dragged the brush off of the page in a curtain angle and added a bit of colour each time without cleaning the brush, though this also lead me to another idea;

I decided to try and make a universe, seeing though Ed was stood on the world with Katie running away, it would only make sense for their background to be the universe around them, though this makes it too literal, so instead i tried to find a different background type in which it emphasises the people and does not make them blend in.

 To simplify the background i used a technique of another artist; Kim Moore, one of her techniques is to scrape paint onto canvas with a spatula, giving a textured effect which i wanted to try and replicate, I think the paint was too watery and you could still see the failed attempt at a universe in the background lightly, though i do not mind it, it gives an added colour, i had fun using the spatula though i do not think i will use this technique again.

However, when I left it to dry it dribbled from the angle it was at, though it looks interesting, it was not what i wanted to happen.


This one is not finished however I tried to do a different background to the first image, trying to use black and white to emphasise the colour in the foreground however i am not sure it is right, perhaps i will keep the idea for a future design except keep it more the patch work style of Jim Dine instead of the floating TV screens we see here.

I did learn from my mistakes last time and made the characters alot bigger to take up more space, even giving them a more unusual position to make them more visually pleasing.

This Idea is from a celebrity argument between Katie Price and Katie Hopkins, in which Katie talked to the press saying 'I bet she doesn't even wear face cream' which i found hilarious because it just wasn't the sort of back talk you would expect. At the moment it seems to be a series of Katie Hopkins seeing though so many people make ridiculous comments.

I do think i will stick to celebrity arguments or social networking posts for my final piece.

I decided this would be my final piece once finished.


Here is the finished piece, i decided to change the background to grey so that it did not draw attention from the main image however i also changed the lines to white to make them stand out against the black

No comments:

Post a Comment